Thursday, February 13, 2014

Books, Movies, and Rock&Roll - It's All About Love

The one thing on this planet that everyone wants, is to be loved. Books have been written, movies filmed, and songs sung.

Hard as I try, it's impossible to name just one book that stands out. Although, I read all genres, romances with  Happily Ever Afters are my favorite. My love for HEA started at a very young age with the Little Golden Book copy of Cinderella. The story had everything a romance should have. There were evil people determined to keep the lovers apart and friends and magical mentors to balance out the villains. Most important was the HEA. There were many versions, but this is the one still on my bookshelf.


There are two movies which I can easily say are my favorite love stories. Unlike my passion for HEA in books, movies can have a bittersweet ending. Casablanca and The Way We Were are two movies I can watch over and over. In the Way We Were, there are so many touching scenes, but nothing is as heart wrenching as the final scene. As Katie backs away from Hubbell at the Plaza Hotel, I can't control  the tears. As I write this, I can hear the music playing in my head and feel the pain in my chest.



Music has a completely different effect. I'll listen to songs about past loves, tormented love, and lighthearted love songs. My favorites by far are all those simple love songs that stick in my head after I've heard them. No artist does that better than Paul McCartney. After the Beatles broke up, John Lennon claimed Paul only wrote Silly Love Songs for the Beatles. Paul responded by writing the #1 hit for Wings. It stayed on the charts as #1 for weeks. 



Are you humming the tune? I am. "You'd think that people would have had enough of silly love songs. But I look around me and I see..."


Put these all together and that's a lot of love. 
But nothing says love better than the universal symbol - A heart shaped box of chocolate
Pair your Valentine's favorite book or song with a decadent box of candy and sit down together to enjoy your favorite romantic movie.

Wishing you and your Valentine - Love, Chocolate, and many Happily Ever Afters.
Zelda Benjamin
visit my website  www.zeldabenjamin.com



4 comments:

  1. Good morning Zelda. Cute post. My favorite romantic movie is a bit quirky. I love Camelot Fave song for romance is Never My Love by the Association from way back in the 70's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun topic, Zelda! My favorite as a kid was the annual airing of Cinderella - stage production with Leslie Ann Warren!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silly love songs and a box of chocolates - my favorite combination. As for movie songs, I love On The Street Where You Live from My Fair Lady. Who hasn't lingered on a certain street hoping to meet that special person?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sofie - I LOVED Cinderalla with Leslie Ann Warren. To this day I wish they would air that version so I could watch it again. I can still sing the romantic song - hmm...not sure why I still remember those words.

    ReplyDelete