Monday, May 26, 2014

Summer Starts: Don't forget it's Memorial Day

It seems we wake up one morning and the buds on the trees have opened into beautiful shades of green, we can walk out to get the paper without being bundled in a coat, and the birds are joyfully singing. Summer has come.

Today is Memorial Day and along with the solemn celebrations to remember those who have served our country, we use this holiday to mark the beginning of summer. That’s not the purpose of the holiday, but over the years, it seems to have morphed into that meaning. Ads lure us to buy beach chairs and swimsuits, hotdogs and chips, and anything else that will make our weekend enjoyable. There’s nothing wrong with that, but in the excitement of enjoying the outdoors, don’t forget the meaning of the Memorial Day, a day to honor the veterans who gave their lives while serving our country.

I hope to find time to visit the National Cemetery. Because Dad served during WWII, both he and Mom are buried there. The quiet beauty of the acres of land with its rows and rows of simple tombstones will be magnified with thousands of small American flags by each marker. It’s an awesome, emotional sight to experience.

The first time I visited a National Cemetery was in Hamm, Luxembourg, when my husband and I lived in Germany during one of his tours with the Air Force. Here the tombstones were simple concrete crosses. We found the grave for General George Patton. He wanted to be buried among his men who died at the Battle of the Bulge, and his grave looks no different from the others, very simple, very touching.

The rows of crosses marking the site of those who lost their lives overseas during the war was an emotional experience I’ll never forget.

As you’re enjoying the beginning of summer today, I hope you have time to experience one of the ceremonies to mark the remembrance of Memorial Day.

It’s the beginning of summer, but it’s also something much, much more meaningful.

Fran McNabb grew up along the beaches, bayous and islands of the Gulf Coast and uses these setting in most of her novels. She's a retired English and journalism teacher who enjoys presenting writing workshops, fishing and boating, and spending time with her two grandsons. Visit her at www.FranMcNabb.com.


10 comments:

  1. Interesting about Patton. My Dad was a WWII vet, too. I'll be putting his flag out for the day soon, now that the morning rains have cleared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, hope the rains clear so you can fly the flag in honor of your father. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Fran. Yes, it's a summer time potluck at Mom and Dad's, remembering our Veterans, and welcoming the summer. (My dad is a veteran of the Korean War. He's 81. He's on grill duty today. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sofie, my uncle served in Korea. I was a little girl then, but I remember he brought back a little rocker for me. I had it for many, many years. So glad your dad is still enjoying good health. Give him a big salute for me.

      Delete
  3. Dad was also a WWII vet. He gave us our love of country. Miss him terribly.
    Both love and hate summer. There is nothing like the NewvJersey humidity. But it also is the beginning of Atlantiv hurricane season Though I have raised mt home above flood level. I worry about the neighbors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kathye, I miss my dad as well. I know how you feel. It's been 7 years since he died, but it seems like yesterday.
      I live on the MS Gulf Coast so I understand humidity. We too raised our newly built house after Katrina. Good luck to you and your neighbors during this hurricane season.

      Delete
  4. I visited the National Cemetery today in Biloxi because of Memorial Day but also because my Mom died one year ago today and I wanted to put some flowers on her grave. The cemetery was so beautiful with the thousands of flags flying. It was good to see so many people out today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My DH and I attended the service at the Presidio National Cemetery. Today, in San Francisco, was the first official welcome home for Vietnam Veterans. That was so special for me. These veterans served in the last war to be fought by men who had been drafted and were treated with so little respect for what they sacrificed. A beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, what a wonderful day it must've been for those Vietnam Vets. So glad that was done for the sacrifice they made.

      Delete
  6. A timely post, Fran. We owe a huge debt to our veterans. Thanks for the reminder

    ReplyDelete