Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Honest People


By Fran McNabb

Sometimes we only hear about the bad things that people do, and there is certainly enough of that to go around. Every evening the news bombards us with disheartening and sometimes tragic events that take place around the world. Today, I simply want to share something good that happened to me.

I recently attended the RWA National Conference in Orlando, FL. The entire five days were filled with exciting and sometimes exhausting events. With over 2,000 attendees I’m sure there were happenings that brought out the worst in people, but I didn’t see any of it. My days were filled with meeting new authors, visiting with old friends, sitting in workshops where information was shared, and listening to speakers’ uplifting and encouraging talks.

On the return trip home at the airport something happened to me that I'd like to share. Trying to juggle my carry-on, my purse, and a laptop that I had to remove from its carrier, I was not the most coordinated traveler. I plopped down in a seat next to my friend who was picking me up and waited for my luggage to come out on the conveyor. No problem. I retrieved my huge suitcase, picked up my carry-on and walked out to the car with my friend. As we were loading, I realized I’d forgotten my computer.

Like all authors my computer holds my life, my thoughts, my manuscripts—things that were irreplaceable. I panicked. We had walked at least ten minutes from the luggage area so my friend thought it would be quicker to drive me. It wasn’t. We couldn’t go straight to the luggage area door. We had to follow the signs out of the airport and then to reenter the parking area. I tried to remain calm, but I thought I was going to hyperventilate.

When she pulled to the door, I jumped out and ran through the door. I’m sure I looked like a wild woman with arms swinging, eyes bulging, and breathing as fast as I could. I was sure the computer would be gone, but as I turned the corner, I was amazed to see my computer on the seat next to a couple.

When the man saw me, he chuckled. “I figured someone would come flying through those doors to claim this. You have to be that person.”

Wow. The man and his wife had sat there and waited for me to return. He understood how important something like a computer was to the owner. He could’ve picked it up and disappeared in the crowd, but he didn’t.

When I got to the car holding my computer close to my chest, my friend was as thrilled as I was. She said several people came out laughing and she assumed they had seen me flying through the luggage area. I, too, had to chuckle at how I must've looked.

Honest people. Yes, there are still honest people in this world. Did I think to ask the man his name? No. I did thank him and his wife, but I never asked his name to send him something in return for his good deed.

As I sit here typing this on my laptop, I have to say thank you, thank you, thank you to all the people in this world who still hold on to admirable qualities like honesty and thoughtfulness. We might only hear about the bad in this world, but I know for a fact that good people still exist.

 FRAN MCNABB lives along the Gulf Coast, but loves participating in writing conferences. She has eight published tender romances, which something use her beloved Gulf Coast as the setting. She loves reading, writing, painting, and boating. Visit her at www.FranMcNabb.com or at mcnabbf@bellsouth.net
 

10 comments:

  1. Oh, Fran, I could feel myself starting to hyperventilate as I read. SO glad you got your laptop back. Thank goodness for good people. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fran, so glad you got your computer back. I really identified with this post, especially when you said that your computer holds not only your manuscripts, but your life and your thoughts. Thanks for the reminder that there are still nice people. I believe they still outnumber the others, but sometimes it's nice to be reminded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a horrifying experience, but it's refreshing to hear something good about people for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand the feeling. Losing your laptop is like losing part of yourself. I'd be frantic too! So glad you got it back. It's good to be reminded that there really are a lot of good people in the world. We hear way too much about the bad one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure what happened to all my replies, but I wanted to thank (again) Sandy, Loretta and Karen for stopping in and commenting. Yes, I'm thrilled to have my laptop with me again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The goodness of the human spirit never lets me down. Yesterday, at rush hour on public transport, a woman fell on the escalator. While two of us helped her recover and to stand, many commuters were waiting to use the escalator, which had broken down-the cause for the woman's fall-but no one pushed or shouted. Most went to the stairs. I walked behind the woman and a man took her arm to help steady her. Between the three of us, we blocked the escalator but those following us were patient.

    Kindness is out there, even at morning rush hour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, good people are everywhere. We simply don't hear about them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your story and it comes at such a good time. Yes! There are good and honest people in this world and it's something we need to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Fran--
    Thank you for sharing this uplifting story. How kind of that man and his wife to babysit your computer until you returned. I agree most people are good and honest.
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete