Friday, April 20, 2018

History, Romance--and Ghosts!


One of These Nights
My second historical romance--a Victorian--will be released next week. I enjoyed doing historical research for it. Besides the Internet and the library, I discovered a book while at Barnes & Noble a couple of years ago which was helpful--"A History of Ghosts" by Peter Ackroyd. Does the name sound familiar? Peter Ackroyd is the father of Dan Ackroyd--actor, writer, and producer of many movies--including "Ghostbusters!" Peter's father--Dan's grandfather--conducted seances in his home, many successful. So it is no wonder that Dan, hearing the tales from his father, became interested in the occult! I used my research as a jumping off point, including how seances were often conducted in the late 1890s. I also added my own embellishments. One of my critique partners suggested that my hero use crystals to enhance the seances, and I also had him use a meteorite. The book was a lot of fun to write and I enjoyed the seance scenes and the various spirits who made their appearances before my hero and heroine. "One of These Nights" is a historical romantic suspense (there's a mystery in the book) with ghosts and it doesn't fit into only one category. It's also a "sweet" romance, making it different from many of the other historicals out there. If you enjoy ghosts please check it out!

5 comments:

  1. Roni, ONE OF THESE NIGHTS sounds like a great book. Can't wait to read it. Good luck with sales and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omigosh, Roni. This books sounds irresistible. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Roni--
    Congratulations on the new book. I LOVE your gorgeous cover and the story sounds intriguing. Thank you for the link to buy it!
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete