Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Summer of Loss - and a Lesson Learned

Summer's almost over. Most of the time, I say those words sadly, but this year I'm more than ready to begin a new season. For me, there have been few days to celebrate in the summer of 2018. If you live in the northeast, you may be nodding your head, thinking about the weather - hot, humid, sticky, and generally miserable. But my sadness has little to do with weather.

I lost someone I love this summer, someone who had been part of my life for most of my life. I lost my brother. Jimmy had Down Syndrome and, since the death of our parents, I was his guardian. In other words, he was a special needs person. Some people looked at him and that's all they saw. But others looked beyond that and saw him simply as a special person, which he was. Born in a time when there were few programs for people who didn't fit what was considered the norm, his needs were indeed many, but mainly due to the untiring efforts of our mother and a very special aunt, Jimmy enjoyed a life that was rich and filled with a variety of experiences. He worked at a number of different jobs, at first in a sheltered workshop and later in the less protected environment of the general community. He participated in Special Olympics, Exceptional Equestrians, a bowling league, and was active in the music program of his church, thanks to the support of a congregation that practiced love in action.

In the months leading up to his death and during the rituals that surround saying good-bye to a loved one, I learned a valuable lesson. I've always believed that everyone, whatever their intelligence or talents, has a gift to give to those in the world who are ready to receive it. I watched Jimmy win medals and awards and make friends with his sweetness and his unique sense of humor. I saw his accomplishments as his gift, an example of what can be accomplished by pure determination. I believed him to be an inspiration, especially to other persons with special needs and to their families. That belief was confirmed numerous times by people who told me, many with tears in their eyes, what a blessing he had been to them. But the real lesson was something beyond that. I came to realize that his disability was his gift. His need for help and support provided people with an opportunity to give of themselves. He brought out the best in others. Can there be a more important gift than that?

I learned the truth of something my mother told me many years ago: sometimes the nicest thing you can do for someone is to let them do something nice for you.

14 comments:

  1. Deepest condolences on your loss - how lucky he was to have you for a sister - and how how lucky you were to have him as a brother. It sounds as if he was love personified, and there is never enough love in the world. My sympathies to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, what a lovely thing to say. Thank you! He was love personified, as are so many of the people we fail to notice most of the time. Your comment and your sympathy are much appreciated.

      Delete
  2. A lovely tribute to a very special person! I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure it has left a hole in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Karen. When we lose someone we love, it does feel like there's a hole in our life. Thanks for your sympathy.

      Delete
  3. That was lovely! And he was a guitar player too!? A man after my own heart. I'm sure he will be sorely missed, but he's playing for a different choir now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sofie. Yes, he played the guitar and sang. He even composed up his own little songs - almost always with a message of thanks.

      Delete
  4. This is a beautiful piece with such an important point. I'm so sorry for your loss but I can't help thinking how blessed you were to have had your brother in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. It was a blessing to have had him in my life, although I confess I didn't always understand that.

      Delete
  5. So touching and beautiful, Sandy. I think of you all of the time since your dear brother started going downhill and then passed. You were so good to him, too. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure who you are-obviously someone who knew Jimmy and was a part of his life. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful tribute to your brother. It sounds like he blessed everyone around him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did bless everyone who was open to the blessing. Thanks for taking time to read and comment.

      Delete
  7. Sandy,

    I am so sorry for your loss.

    When I lived in Wales, I worked in Community Arts and was close to many people of all ages with Down Syndrome, their innocence and inner happiness was always an inspiration to me.

    You are fortunate to have had such a brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that, Leigh. You're right, most people with Down Syndrome, do seem to have an inner happiness. You're also right that I was fortunate to have such a brother, but I was not always wise enough to see that.

      Delete