Thursday, October 25, 2018

Inspiration II


 I had been tempted to leave this a blank page to emphasize the dearth of this essential element in a writer’s repertoire in my own circumstances.
 
Then, lo and behold, this magical ingredient returned and I had a thought for a sequel to my American historical, Pavane for Miss Marcher.

Inspiration struck just as I was having a conversation about a mug that my son sent me as a birthday present which reads “Please do not annoy the writer, she may put you in a book and kill you.” The conversation happened to be about a distant cousin-in-law and I commented that, many years after this CIL had annoyed other members of my family with her “I’m so far superior to you” attitude, I had taken a tiny bit of revenge by casting her attitude as the reason the parents of my character, North (in Pavane for Miss Marcher), refused to attend his wedding.

What has that to do with Inspiration, you may wonder.

North is a veteran of the American Civil War. He and his brother-in-law, Aurelius, have been on my mind since, as secondary characters, they made their presence known — in the proverbial ‘pantser’ form of writing — by appearing as the story unfolded.

Following this conversation, I sat quietly for a moment. A progression of images appeared as the tissue of an idea for North’s story unfolded. Except that his tale will have a happy ending, where it goes from this inspired moment is a mystery.

And I like it that way.

4 comments:

  1. Leigh, it's amazing how writers come up with book ideas and characters. Most of the time I remember what inspired me to begin a novel or to write a character. Sometimes, though, I draw a blank as it is with my latest book, A SOLDIER'S HONOR. I wish I knew where that idea originated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about that with the original book itself...I cannot remember how Cathryn & Rupert invaded my mind but they did and the book emerged, fully cast, in the (fictional) village of Oslo Hill.

      Delete
  2. I love that secondary characters in one of your books are so alive to you that they inspire you to tell their stories. Inspiration is a funny thing; most of the time it's impossible to follow its trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolute power of imagination. Where would humans be now without it? Even the most primitive humans told stories. Must be genetic! :)

      Delete