Monday, December 24, 2018

NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS

I’m writing this blog (which was supposed to have been posted several hours ago) on Christmas Eve.  As is often the case, I’m behind schedule on a number of fronts.  I’ve finished my shopping, but still need to wrap and this blog was pushed to the back of the line.
Lucky for me a blog at this time of the year practically writes itself.  As we approach the end of the year and the beginning of the next, most of us think about our resolutions or wishes for the future while looking back on the past year. 
I have a lot to be thankful for including a loving spouse, children and daughters-in-law happily connected to our family. We also have a precious new grandson and another due in April.  Our world may be in turmoil, but I have much to be grateful for.  
Most of us have been around long enough to know that all of that can change in the drop of an eye so my New Year’s resolution is to appreciate what I have and try not think about tomorrow and what might be coming. I’ve spent too much of my life thinking about what I need to do, making lists and going through them with almost total focus.  I did not always see the gifts and opportunities that are in front of me and I’m sure I lost some special moments.
My 9 month-old grandson was here in New York this week visiting from L.A.  I was fortunate to be able to spend quality hours with him every day while his mother worked.  A younger me would have fretted about what I was not getting done while I hung out with him at the children’s museum and the library.  An older me appreciates how fleeting these opportunities are.  I knew the blog and other writing tasks could wait—even until after the holidays.
That’s my new year’s resolution:  To prioritize my family and their needs recognizing that the writing will get done, but the family is what’s essential.

Happy Holidays to everyone!  

3 comments:

  1. So true-family is what is important. Everything is fun and important, but not as essential as family. Thanks for reminding us what we need to focus on in 2019. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You nailed it, Deborah. It's easy to get sidetracked by unimportant things. Happy 2019 to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deborah--
    You are so right to put all else aside to spend extra time with your grandson. Those precious moments with little ones are few and far between. Happy 2019 !!
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete