Thursday, March 28, 2019

Why I Write and Read Romance


by Fran McNabb

Not everyone will agree with my opinion here, but that’s okay. Everyone has different likes and dislikes in the books they choose to read and write. Mine happens to be the romance genre. Recently my husband and I watched a rather long movie, almost three hours long. The time didn’t bother me, but the ending did. We watched a soldier fight his way through a bloody war and spend months walking home to get to the woman he loved, just to be killed after only one night with her.
Grrrr. I was mad. The romance writer in me would never have let that happen. I know the point of the story. War is horrible. It shouldn’t be romanticized, but the writers and producers could have made their point another way. I won’t name the movie because it was very well done except for the ending. It depicted the brutality of war. The characters were well developed. The story line was intricately woven. Too bad the ending ruined it—at least for me.
The romance genre is predictable, at least for the endings. Getting to that satisfying ending should not be. I love to read a romance with a unique plot, interesting characters, and, yes, a happy or at least a satisfying ending.
On my website I have a couple of paragraphs about romance and why I write in that genre. I explain that I like a good story that brings me to an "aaah" ending, or leaves me with a tear in my eye or a smile on my face. I like to feel good and be entertained by the books I read or the movies I watch. There’s enough bad in this world so I like to think my books can bring a little joy to someone’s life.
Let me know how you feel. Do you like a feel good ending in your books or one that leaves you with the harsh reality of life?

FRAN MCNABB loved spending time in the city library when she was in junior high. She found the shelf with Avalon’s family-friendly romance novels and read every one of them. Ironically, she started her writing career by publishing with Avalon in 2006. Today she has nine published books, all in the romance genre. Visit her at www.FranMcNabb.com or at mcnabbf@bellsouth.net.

8 comments:

  1. You're right, Fran. One of the pleasures of reading romance is knowing all the heartache your friends (the characters) are going through will come out right in the end. Keep up your good work. We need all the "happily every after" we can get now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, thanks for stopping by. I'm with you: I love knowing our "friends" will have a satisfying ending.

      Delete
  2. I don't mind satisfactory endings (depending on the genre) but in romance I want the feel good feelings when the heroine and hero overcome all the obstacles to finally be together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, when we read and write romance, we know how the story will end. Obstacles will be overcome and the heroine and the hero will be headed toward a happily ever after. Love it! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fran--
    I have not seen the movie you mentioned but I would have been mad, too! That is not a satisfying ending to me either--especially if the filmmakers hyped the movie as a romance. I can't imagine anyone thinking after three hours that that ending was what they wanted. I prefer reading and watching true romance genre, where the ending is not predictable, but satisfying.
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the movie was disappointing because of the ending, but I'm not sure it was advertised as a romance. Still, I was not happy. Thanks for stopping by C & C.

      Delete
  5. Fran, I agree with you 100 %. I read Romance for the happy ending. Whether it be suspense, mystery, fantasy, historical, etc. all Romance books guarantee us that satisfaction at the end.

    Thus, Sommersby, touted to be a chick flick was not a romance. Hero gave up his life for the good of the group at the end, leaving the heroine to carry on and raise their unborn child alone. MAN THINKING. Same with the book The Horse Whisperer. They changed the ending for the movie, so he doesn't die, but not in the book. It seems what works for most of us ladies--the happy ending means little to the testosterone driven part of humanity. For them glory and the ultimate sacrifice make the best story. Ah well, we love their hairy little hearts.

    Keep on writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we watched Sommersby the night after we watched the other one. I liked it a lot more than the first simply because he chose his end for the good of his family and neighbors. Still, I love a good HEA.

      Delete