Thursday, June 27, 2019

Aging and Attitude


By Fran McNabb

It happens to all of us. One day we’re young and carefree with small children and new houses and lots of energy. Then we open our eyes one morning and realize those days are long past. We are no longer young. Our children are grown. Our houses are older and empty. When we find ourselves in this situation, what should we do?

Growing old doesn’t have to be depressing. Being old is a matter of perception and the attitude each of us has toward it. I know fifty year olds who act old and I know seventy and eighty year olds who are still young at heart and don’t let the age thing keep them down. I hope I’m considered in that last category.  I think how a person looks at life makes all the difference in the world.

If you’re reaching the senior citizen age, how are you approaching it? Many businesses start giving senior citizen discounts to people as young as fifty. Really? It’s nice of businesses to give a discount, but at fifty? At fifty most of us are still quite active and resent when they are put into that classification. I passed the fifty year mark years ago. I seem to be more active now than then since I was fighting RA at the time. Now with the miraculous new drugs on the market, I’m much more active and enjoy life to the fullest.

Hubby and I are realists and do understand we can’t continue forever doing some of the things we love to do, such as boating and doing the beach scene. We are both seventy-one. That’s hard for me to imagine since I don’t feel that way. In a few weeks we’re driving eleven hours to our son’s house where we’ll get on a boat with some forty year olds and go to Bimini in the Bahamas. We’re excited to be invited because it’s one of our favorite places in the world. We will try our best to keep up with the “younger crowd” on this trip and enjoy what will probably be our last trip out to that island. After returning from The Bahamas we are planning to drive into the Keys (our next favorite spot in the world) to enjoy a few days there. We're not letting age stop us from enjoying this trip.

As authors I think the “age-thing” influences the type of characters we write about. I know I stay away from twenty-something characters because I don’t think like them anymore. Other than that I’m not sure I let age stand in my way.

No matter how old you are, when it’s time to be considered old, I hope you have done all that you’ve wanted to do. We might be a little slower and we might choose not to do some things in life, but, hey, don’t let age get in your way. Want to do it? Try it.

FRAN MCNABB tries to live life to the fullest along her beloved Gulf Coast. She enjoys boating, fishing, reading, and of course writing. Many of her nine published novels are set along the coastline. One is set in Key West. Check them out at  www.FranMcNabb.com or write her at mcnabbf@bellsouth.net

4 comments:

  1. A thought-provoking post, Fran, about a reality that has been brought to my husband and me in the past couple of months as we've been clearing out 45 years of accumulated "stuff" and preparing our house for sale. We still do pretty much everything ourselves, but have discovered how much more quickly we tire now than we used to. Though we're of an age when most would consider us old, we still haven't given up on trying new things and keeping with the things we've always enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Sandy, and congratulations on still doing the things you want to do. Keep it up!

      Delete
  2. Hi Fran--
    I totally agree with your comment, "How a person looks at life makes all the difference in the world." There are people who act old far too early in life. I'm pleased to know you and your hubby continue to travel and do what you love while you still can. My hubby and I have that same outlook.
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the first comments my husband made about us was: "I think you're like me. You'll never grow up!" That has proved to be true, even after children and now grandchildren. One activity keeps us both youngish: research. We're never too old to learn or change.

    The creaking knees and stiff lower backs are minor inconveniences & can be treated with heat salves :) - what turns us into old people are attitudes and self-inflicted limitations. E.g., my mother-in-law always wanted to attend the Oberammegau Passion Plays but when she was free to do so, she claimed she was too old - a lifelong dream squashed.

    Take advantage of the discounts - no matter what age they start at - but never consider yourself too old to live a full and exciting life. We aren't that different from 20-somethings, we just have more experience to draw on or ignore!

    ReplyDelete