Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Falling in Love, Time After Time

My fellow bloggers here at Classic & Cozy have written about their conversations and tussles with their characters, especially the heroes. Writers do have the extraordinary privilege of inexhaustible companionship and playmates but I think Romance writers have the best of all possible outcomes.

We get to fall in love, over and over, time after time, as often as our imaginations create the heroes who fulfill all our heroines’ dreams. If we, as creators, don’t fall in love with that guy, how can we expect our heroine to do so?

I’m doubly fortunate in my romantic fictional writing (triply if you consider my personal, real-life romance, to be revealed in February). Not only do I have the opportunity to fall in love with men like David Gitano, Eric Wasserman, Brad Foster and most recently, the soon to be introduced, Mike ArgentI also, writing as Lily Dewaruile, have had the pleasure of meeting and forming lasting relationships with Medieval Welsh heroes such as Garmon Dolwyddlan and his younger friend, Geraint Padarn, who cross my mind and swell my heart from time to time.

However, they have the misfortune of being in competition with my first love, Jehan-Emíl deFreveille, hero and patriarch of my first Medieval romance, set in Wales, Book One of the Pendyffryn series, Invasion. But even Jehan could not stop me from falling for Christophe Maides, his closest friend, who stole my heart when I least expected to be susceptible, especially not to desperate men, adventurers, the worst and the best of their profession—9th Century soldiers of fortune. And Christophe gave way to his father, Gilles de Maides, in the fifth book, Reconciliation, set in Armenia. 

Mike Argent, hero of my forthcoming “Americans in Love” novel, This Can’t Be Love, will soon leave me, to take his place among the other heroes I have loved and let go, to woo someone else. I don’t mind. Mike has been a delightful compagnon du coeur, during the many months we have been together, as was Bradford Foster of Nights Before fame. I’m sure others will do their best to make up to me for his loss.

I will soon be head over heels in love again. This time with Jehan-Emíl’s second son, Marshal who takes the stage in Justice. And once I have ensured that this wild young man is suitably entrenched in a relationship with the shy and studious apothecary, Tanglwystll, I will abandon him to his fate for the quiet byways of 1870s rural Maine where the kind and industrious, Evie, will encounter G. Rupert Smith, in Pavane for Miss Marcher.

No doubt Evie will entice Rupert away from me. This is as it should be since, as soon as I met her, I knew the sort of man she needed to combat the bullies in her life.  

My fickle love life is never-ending. Falling in love with heroes is as natural as breathing, ask any Romance writer. 

10 comments:

  1. How true Leigh
    My favorite hero has not had the pleasure of coming out of the bottom drawer of my desk. He's in the first book I tried to write so he's very rough and needs a lot of work. You have inspired me to get going on his make over .
    Maybe someday you'll get to meet my NYC cop Michael Hayes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hardly wait to meet Officer Hayes, Kathye! David Gitano nearly had the same fate but I always knew he was a heart-throb though.

      Delete
  2. Yes! Currently, I'm in love with Osiris Cavanaugh--a dead US Marine. (He's in my Afterlife Series). Once I type The End, I'll be spending time with a new man, Iggy Zemski, another Marine, but this one (featured in Book III of my Calendar Girls Series) is very much alive--at least on paper. Writers are a fickle bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Gina, it's not fickle to be in love with the heroes in your life! All my heroes are tributes to the wonderful men I know, but there is only one who truly captured my heart. You'll meet him in February. I love men in uniform, witness Eric and Brad, but I'm going to look for Osiris, for sure.

      Delete
  3. I really liked hearing about your -- and yesterday -- Fran's hero loves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so alike, we writers. Thank you for stopping by, Jean.

      Delete
  4. Love this post, Leigh. It occurs to me another name for it could be "Falling in Love with Love".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that's the sum of it, Sandy. It's so much more fun. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Hi Leigh--
    You wrote, "We get to fall in love, over and over, time after time, as often as our imaginations create the heroes who fulfill all our heroines’ dreams." I heartily agree with your words. One of the best perks of being a romance writer :-)
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Victoria and thank you. And the best part is that all of these heroes are based on the wonderful men I've met, many of whom are very much part of my life. Most don't even know I've honored them in this way - humble. Being heroes is just what they do, everyday.

      Delete