Friday, July 10, 2015

Getting To Know Us With Deborah Nolan

Yes, we all have bios on this website, but there is so much MORE to know about our Classic and Cozy bloggers. So the 2nd Friday of each month is dedicated to getting to know us better. This month I'd like to introduce you to Deborah Nolan. 

Okay, inquiring minds want to know…why a writer? Certainly not for the fame and fortune…or maybe it is?
Since I was very small I’ve made up stories, usually when I can’t get to sleep. I’m not sure why, but it could be because I was the only girl in a family of brothers. I spent a lot of time alone especially on summer vacations. Anyway, I think of myself as a storyteller more than a writer, but once I got the courage to start putting my stories on paper and sharing them, I found the process of writing even more satisfying that keeping my stories to myself.

When did you first put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) to create your classic and cozy characters?

I first started writing when I was home with my 10 month-old son in a town where I knew no one. My son was a good napper. I didn’t take me long to discover that it was a lot more fun and satisfying to write than to clean.

Do you have a set writing schedule?
Unfortunately I do not have a set schedule. I’m a major procrastinator. The good news is that I’m in and have been part of a critique group for almost as long as I’ve been writing. We try to meet every other week and that deadline is what I use to get each chapter done.

Is there a certain routine, food/drink, or location that summons forth the muses for you?

I don’t have a set routine for writing. In fact, I can write almost any place. I’ve even written chapters on scraps of paper when I’ve been stuck someplace and have nothing to read. I think it’s that part of me that tells stories when there is nothing else going on or can’t sleep. One of my most productive places to write is on the train from Hudson to NYC—as long as there isn’t a chatter on the seat behind me.

What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
Besides writing, I cook, paint, go to art museums and enjoy the outdoors. It’s why I like to play golf, kayak or take long walks. I also love parties.

I imagine you’ve been reading all of your life (all great writers have.) What was your favorite book as a child?

My favorite book as a child was Heidi. When I was a bit older I discovered Theater Shoes by Noel Streatfeild. I still have that book.

Do you re-read books? If so, which one have you re-read the most?

I usually don’t reread books but I make an exception with Theater Shoes and Pride and Prejudice though I may have read To Kill a Mockingbird the most.

But there’s more to life than reading, writing (and arithmetic)…what is your most memorable adventure in your life?
My most memorable adventure! That’s a great question. Believe it or not I think trying my first case. I don’t think of myself as a litigator and certainly don’t have that personality but I discovered that because I’m a good listener and observer that I am very good at cross-examination. That first trial taught me that there is more than one way to do things and that I should always trust my instincts. I know most of the world would not think of law school and practicing law as an adventure, but for me, representing children in abuse and neglect cases (which is what I do) has been an unexpectedly rewarding and satisfying adventure.

If you were on American Idol, what song would you sing to WOW! the judges?

"I Hope Dance" by Lee Ann Womack. The song has meaning to me—it’s what I wanted to sing when my son graduated from high school and then college. It’s taken him a while but he’s finally out there on the dance floor. I ‘d sing it on American Idol because I’d be able to bring all my hopes and fears into the song and give it heart.

What are you currently working on? What can we readers look forward to seeing from you?

I’m working on a sequel to Suddenly Lily—so far my most popular book. I’m only about 50 pages into Angela’s Story, but have recently figured out where I’m going so I’m hopeful that I can finish it this year. I’ve a completed book, Athens, which I’m presently pitching. I hope my readers will be seeing that soon!

Last question…movie rights…who’ll play your current main characters when Hollywood comes knocking on your door?

Although Angela is a 55 year-old Italian American she’s fair with light hair. I see Julia Roberts playing her and George Clooney playing Joey, the man in her life. Her son Michael might be played by Bradley Cooper and Amy Adams would be Lily.

Deborah Nolan blogs on the 29th of every month right here at ClassicandCozy.

Website: deborahmnolan.blogspot.com

Author of SUDDENLY LILY and CONFLICT OF INTEREST originally published by Avalon and reissued by Montlake. SECOND ACT FOR CARRY ARMSTRONG published by Desert Breeze Publishing.


4 comments:

  1. Great to get to know you Deborah. I have so much respect for lawyers. Deal with them on a daily basis working for county government. That great detailed mind you had to develop must have translated so well into your plotting. Best of luck with your WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW love you Jean for doing this. It is such an interesting feature

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deborah--
    Thank goodness you summoned your courage to share your stories. Great to hear you're writing a sequel. All the best with it and your other books.
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to get to know you better, Deborah. Sounds like you were destined to be a writer.

    ReplyDelete