Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Holiday Overload... Well Before the Holidays

by Victoria M. Johnson

In July while hunting for a beach umbrella and chairs, I expected to encounter back-to-school supplies.  I was not prepared to find Halloween decorations on the shelves.  Something about jack-o-lanterns juxtaposed with flip-flops just didn't seem right.  Then in August, while trying to locate summer picnic items—after all plenty of summer still lay ahead—I was shocked to see Thanksgiving items in place of outdoor entertaining necessities.  This disconcerting circumstance wasn't just at one store.  I come across it everywhere: coffee shops already have pumpkin spiced beverages for sale, grocery stores have the Fall merchandise out, and apparel shops have Fall clothing in their windows.  It's still 99 degrees outside!

What's the rush?  Can't we enjoy our summer without the added stress of thinking about school and holidays?  Okay, I get—even though I don't agree with—the back-to-school displays overlapping with Halloween.  Harried parents buying backpacks and lunch boxes may have eager children pulling on their hems saying, "mommy, buy me this costume."  And that harried parent is thinking about saving a shopping trip to buy costumes a month later.  I understand the reasoning behind that.  But Thanksgiving items for sale in August?  Really? 

Now that it is September, I fully expect to hear Christmas carols playing in stores.  And I haven't even discussed the internet ads yet.  Yes, I've seen the first Christmas ebook ad on Twitter.  Ugh.  Too soon, people.  I am happy to read that ebook in November.  But at the moment I want to frolic in the ocean.  Christmas is too stressful to think about in the carefree days of summer. 

I know Christmastime doesn't have to be stressful but it's just that it falls at that time of the year when so much else is happening in life.  Family commitments, work pressure to meet end-of-year targets, and forgotten personal goals we scramble to make an attempt to tackle. On top of this I haven't mentioned how much I get into the spirit of the season.  I like to attend the Christmas pageants of my youngest relatives, attend holiday festivals, and decorate my home for the many visitors who will stop by.  I love to shop, wrap, and give to my loved ones.
-->
-->

As if all this weren't overload enough, I also happen to adore Christmas movies.  Typically during the season I might watch two in one week.  However, today I found out that the Hallmark Channel has plans to render me useless for the month of December.  They plan 33 new original movies for the 2017 holiday!  What?  How am I supposed to manage that on top of everything else?  I still have movies on my DVR from last season I haven't watched yet.  Click on the image above to see a preview of the new lineup.  (Or click the link here.) This announcement adds anxiety to my holiday planning.  I realize I must start everything sooner.  Perhaps I should bump things up a month to free up my time.  Maybe the retailers have it right.  Maybe the elementary schools could have their Christmas pageants in November, which would move Thanksgiving to October, and Halloween to September.  I think I should begin wrapping gifts now...

Is anyone else feeling rushed with holiday stuff being thrown at you too early?  Or are you happy, yet panicked, that Hallmark has 33 wonderful, uplifting movies coming out this holiday season?  Let me know in the comments below.

author Victoria M. Johnson
Victoria M. Johnson knew by the time she was ten that she wanted to be a writer.  She loves telling stories and she's happiest when creating new characters and new plots.  Avalon Books and Montlake Romance published Victoria's fiction debut, The Doctor’s Dilemma.  Her other fiction book is a collection of romance short stories titled, The Substitute Bride and a novella, Hot Hawaiian Christmas. She is also the writer and director of four short films and two micro documentaries.   Visit Victoria's website at http://VictoriaMJohnson.com for inspiration and tips and find her Amazon author page or connect with her on Pinterest and Twitter.


10 comments:

  1. Well put, Victoria. Part of the early merchandising schemes is a dependence on the vagaries of children. What they have to have in August they won't touch in October, meaning Mommy and Daddy have to buy a new costume. Candy purchased in August will be eaten by September, if not the end of August, and never make it to October. So - more candy will have to be purchased. Same with holiday movies. They make so many each year - to say nothing of 'classics' (meaning they were made at least three years ago) they say that to air all the movies the viewers are 'clamoring' for they have to start early. Ho-hum. Thank goodness for DVDs. As for overload, that is the heart of marketing. If it's hard to buy a swimsuit in July, it is just as difficult to buy a coat in February, when the stores are full of swimsuits. Of course, we know they're selling dreams as much as they are objects. Humans are now trained never to be satisfied with what they've got.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan--
    You are so right about the drawbacks of buying early, you will very likely need to make another purchase by the arrival of the holiday. And, yes, adding the classics to the new movies each year means that soon we will be needing to watch year-round to see them all. I think that's Hallmark's plan :-)
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to limit my holiday viewing to one tear-jerker a week, but this could defeat me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, yes. I really hate to see Christmas (and other holiday) months early. Everything is so commercialized. I'm one who never seems to get Christmas shopping done early (can't decide what to buy) so all this holiday "stuff" stresses me out. Hohum. I'd much rather watch a Hallmark movie! Glad they're planning 33!
    Nice post, Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fran--
      I understand completely. I could never get an early start on Christmas either... until I was forced to. You are right, Hallmark is my calm in all the stress.
      Victoria--

      Delete
  5. I understand the marketing strategy, but I hate not having time to savor each season and holiday as it happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy--
      I agree! I LOVE the fall and I savor every minute of it--which seems to shrink every year! But I do love Christmas, too. Just wish it didn't start so early.
      Victoria--

      Delete
  6. There is only one Christmas season movie I watch, every year, nearly since it was made: It's a Wonderful Life with James Stewart and Donna Reed. Every other movie (IMO) is a pale imitation.

    I do my best to ignore the pre-season mania until after Thanksgiving. I'm probably a marketer's nightmare...

    Great post, Victoria!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leigh--
      Wow. It's great you can ignore the marketers, and great you can be their nightmare! I absolutely love "It's a Wonderful Life" it is a favorite of mine. But really, there are some wonderful new movies on Hallmark each year. Hope you have time to catch one or two this season.
      Victoria--

      Delete