Thursday, July 26, 2018

Wondering

Writers have a most extraordinary need to know. We're like small children when it comes to knowledge, always asking "Why?" and if that is so, "Why?" and "Why?" again, until an adult in the room says "Because!"

We are the adult in the room by the time we begin our careers and finding the answers to our "Whys?" is our job,

So, at times in my career, I have asked and found the answers to the wonderings below.

Wondering about ... colors/colours:

Why is the sky blue?

What is a rainbow?

Why is the nighttime sky black?

Why are the clouds white?

Why do we say "Red sky at night, sailors delight?" and "Red sky at morning, sailors take warning?"

Why is a coward called 'yellow'?

Why is a novice called 'green'?

Why is some prose called 'purple'?

For that matter, why is purple associated with royalty?

And the one question I haven't found an answer to but suspect I can guess "Why do some people hate 'orange'?

Answers in the Comments, please!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Leigh--
    You are so right. Curiosity is a must for creative types, even writers. For me my projects always start with a question. And I think there are questions we answer with every book we write.
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria!
      Without curiosity there isn't much to write about!
      I always appreciate your comments.

      Delete