Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Walking Into Well-being

by Sandy Cody

It’s funny how things evolve. A few days ago, Karen wrote about the delights of walking. Her post was inspired by a recent trip she took to visit her family in England. She tied this into another recent post, written by Victoria about the importance of the connection between grandparents and their grandchildren. Karen’s thoughts on the benefits of walking brought to mind a quote I read some time ago. I searched through the jumble of files on my computer, found it, and ... you guessed it ... it prompted my post for today.
“Above all, do not lose your desire to walk. Everyday, I walk myself into a state of well-being & walk away from every illness. I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it. But by sitting still, & the more one sits still, the closer one comes to feeling ill. Thus if one just keeps on walking, everything will be all right.”― Søren Kierkegaard
I think Kierkegaard is right. If one just keeps on walking, everything will be all right. Maybe not perfect or exactly what you’re hoping for, but better. The mere fact of moving forward does help to put things into perspective and gets you through times that are, to use Kierkegaard’s word, burdensome. On the other hand, sitting still, can lead to a feeling of helplessness and even illness.
We all have our favorite places to walk. My dream walk is an outdoor trail, away from the distractions of everyday life. If the path is carpeted with leaves that crunch underfoot, adding a unique music to my ramble ... perfect. 

It's not often that I (or, I suspect, most of you) have time to take off and find the perfect spot, but one of the nice things about walking is that the spot doesn't really need to be perfect. A walk through the neighborhood can be just as refreshing in its own way. Meeting and stopping for a quick chat with a friend you usually just wave to as your cars pass on their ways to your separate lives can be a pleasant change. When I think of my perfect walk, the first thing that comes to mind is solitude, a chance to let my mind wander and my thoughts grow, but thoughts can grow in other ways too. A stroll through a crowded mall with the a chance to people-watch is rewarding in a completely different way. 

Okay ... enough for now. I'm going to release these rambling thoughts into the cyber world, turn off my computer and ... take a walk.

Happy trails to all of you - and if you can't get out for a walk, I hope your thoughts take you on a pleasant journey. 

8 comments:

  1. Hope you had a good walk! I took one this morning with my husband in the park, but solo walks are better for creativity. Back when I worked full time outside the home, I took a walk every lunch hour and came back with answers to questions I didn't know I had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a nice walk - too short and a bit damp, but still nice. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy, nice post. I agree walking is great, but I find that if I want to be outside alone, I get on my bicycle and ease along the short dead-end street where I live. I'll circle it several times, but seem to make stops whenever neighbors are outside. Any time outside is quality time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Fran, that outside time is quality time. Bicycling is another great way to enjoy the outdoors. I also find that when I meet my neighbors I stop for a visit - a good thing, I think.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful post, Sandy. I think long walks are as good for the soul as they are for the body!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sandy--
    I love the quote from Kierkegaard! I, too, need my walks. I don't feel right if I don't get outdoors for fresh air and a good walk. I agree, walking through the neighborhood has it's perks, no driving, no stress, and you visit with neighbors.
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, If I don't get outside for at least part of each day. It's seems to be common need for all of us.

      Delete