Thursday, February 28, 2019

Obligations and Wants


 by Fran McNabb
                      
            I’m excited to once again be back as a regular on Classic and Cozy taking the fourth Thursday of the month. If you follow the former Avalon authors on this group, you know that Leigh Verrill-Rys has filled this space for a long time. Like most of us on this blog, Leigh had to let go of some of her obligations to find time for other endeavors in her life. We’ve all been there. In fact, for the last year or so, I, too, stepped away from the blog to catch up with life, which brings me to the point: How do we know what is important in life?

As authors we all try to juggle the demands of living. Some of us might be raising children or grandchildren, some work full time, and all of us strive to enjoy life while still finding time to write. How does anyone find the time to do what is important to them?

I’m a retired teacher. When I worked, I seemed to be much more productive than I am now. How could that be? I was away from the house for over eight hours a day, had two boys who were active in school and in sports, and a husband who loved to fill our house with friends every weekend. Needless to say, life was interesting, yet I found time to write regularly. I think the key was time management and being organized. I had to write lesson plans, grade essays and tests, and most importantly, I had to be involved with my boys and their pastimes. And, yes, I had to write and I did.

Maybe because I was younger and had more energy, I was able to do everything, but besides that fact I think the key was making the decision that I wanted to be a published writer. After that decision, I carved out the time in my busy schedule. That time might have been four in the morning while the kids were still sleeping or in the middle of the night when I awoke with an idea. I’m not sure how I did it, but I’m sure determination played a big part.

Today I don’t work outside the home, but I seem to stay busy. Most things I do are not necessary, but they are things I want to do. I do want to write, but compared to my earlier years, I'm not as productive. So, back to my original point: How do we know what is important in life? That’s easy. No matter how old you are, family should come first. Their needs and wants are important, but then what we want to do should come next. If it’s finding time to write, then we should make sure that time is there. If it’s volunteering someplace, then find the time to do it. Wants are important. They are the things that keep life interesting and moving along.

So, Leigh, we all understand what you’re going through. I hope all of your life’s callings let you find time to write and to one day come back to Classic and Cozy.

FRAN MCNABB -  Fran lives along the Gulf Coast and often uses that setting in her books.
Presently she has nine published light romances. Her latest book, A SOLDIER'S HONOR  is also set on the coast. Come visit with Fran at www.FranMcNabb.com or contact her at mcnabbf@bellsouth.net


4 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Fran. It's good to have you back on a regular basic. And, Leigh, we look forward to hearing from you again when the time is right. Fran, you are so right that our lives never cease to be a balancing act and we have to decide what is most important and make the time for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, thanks for stopping by. Yes, I do hope Leigh can join us again one day. I know I'm happy to be back.

      Delete
  2. Hi Fran--
    You're so right about finding time for what's important in life. I think the challenge is competing priorities--when many things are important--and spreading ourselves thin trying to do everything and be everywhere. I wish you well in your efforts to spend time where it is necessary to you.
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete