Saturday, April 6, 2019

April Showers Bring...

...Mud, and moss, and mess, oh my. But also spring flowers!!! I want flowers. I want grass. Nope. I've got moss. It's pretty. Beautiful in fact, but it ain't flowers. This seems a simple enough goal, but then, you don't know my gardening history. :( The phrase, "shrinking violets"applies to a plant's reaction to seeing me in a garden center. I think the violets can smell the death.

It all began harmlessly enough. My goal: Clean up the patio so I could sit and read a cozy mystery or a sweet romance novel in relative comfort on our on-again-off-again temperate spring days. I live in Virginia and Wednesday saw a 30 degree temperature change in about three hours. Next week? Who knows? Maybe 90s? So I’ve got to take advantage of the temperate days while we’ve got them.

So I started tackling the seating area in the back. It’s like the children’s story, “If you Give a Mouse a Cookie”. Do you know it? Well, this mouse starts out just wanting a cookie, then wanting milk, then wanting to draw a picture for the front of the fridge, etc., etc.

I started raking leaves, which led to tripping on the patio pavers, which led to pulling them all up, which led to grading, re-paving, decorating, planting plants, creating a focal point, which led to tearing down an unsightly tree house, to finally looking back at my patio, remembering my purpose here and…

Today, it’s raining. Oh well, why don’t you check out one of our Classic and Cozy writers, and enjoy them outside while the temperate spring days last. I sure wish I could.

5 comments:

  1. I live in the South so we aren't stuck in our houses during the winter months as much as our northern friends. Still, I love Spring. I love the new leaf color of the leaves and the grass, but mostly I love seeing my neighbors spending more time outside enjoying nature. Enjoy your patio, Sofie. I'm sure it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Sofie. Laughed the whole time I was reading it. I don't how many projects we've started thinking it would be a half hour job and three weeks later ... well, you know how it goes. So glad to have you back on the team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sofie--
    You and I have that lack of a green thumb in common. I'm determined to give it a try again, next week in fact, just a few flowers... see how that goes, then maybe a few more.
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, Sofie. Mud is my most frequent garden product. Still I love spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love gardening but the plants don't love me. I'm just south of you in North Carolina. Everything starts out wonderfully in April and May, but then somewhere around the end of May the heat zooms into upper eighties and nineties and the plants all wilt and give up.

    ReplyDelete