Sunday, August 4, 2019

In Praise of Lazy Day


by Victoria M. Johnson

Celebrated on August 10 every year, Lazy Day really is a national holiday.  Though no one knows for sure when or where it originated—perhaps laziness has something to do with the lack of historical record—the holiday has caught on.  I suppose we don't need too much persuading to take a lazy day.  However, while we like the idea of allowing ourselves to be lazy, actually doing it can be challenging.

Photo by Roberto Nickson
Many of us have a To-Do list that doesn't go away on holidays.  Taking a day of relaxation often brings feelings of guilt or anxiety for not tackling items on our list.  While we all know we need down time for our mental and physical health, many of us just can't do it.  That's where Lazy Day comes in.  It's only one day.  Surely you can allow yourself one day off.  One real, true, pure, day off.  Imagine that.

What would you do, or rather, what would you not do?  Perhaps read, watch a movie, take a walk, write?  While relaxing, those activities involve 'doing'.  Think lazier.  Think lounging.  For me, the best way to totally unwind is lounging at the beach, not reading, not writing, not looking at my cell phone, just being.  It's doing absolutely nothing.  While I'll admit I don't often have the time for a lazy day, when I do take that time I come back feeling rejuvenated.  Try it for yourself. 

For other ideas of what to do on Lazy Day, click here:

National LazyDay: 7 Easy Things You Can Do To Celebrate Holiday


For interesting facts about laziness, click here:  

What's your favorite way to be lazy?  Share in the comments below.

Victoria M. Johnson knew by the time she was ten that she wanted to be a writer.  She loves telling stories and she's happiest when creating new characters and new plots.  Avalon Books and Montlake Romance published Victoria's fiction debut, The Doctor’s Dilemma.  Her other fiction book is a collection of romance short stories titled, The Substitute Bride and a novella, Hot Hawaiian Christmas. She is also the writer and director of four short films and two micro documentaries.   Visit Victoria's website at http://VictoriaMJohnson.com for inspiration and tips and find her Amazon author page or connect with her on Pinterest and Twitter.


6 comments:

  1. I had no idea there was such a day. I'll celebrate by spending an extra few minutes in the recliner. Otherwise I seem pretty much incapable of just doing nothing. Sitting on the beach is the closest I come, but even then I can only sit there for about ten minutes before I have to go check out the water or investigate the surrounding area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen--
      A few extra minutes for yourself is the perfect way to start. I know it's hard to do nothing, but we can treat ourselves to a little bit of time off now and then.
      Victoria--

      Delete
  2. Victoria, everyone needs a Lazy Day, but so few, including me, actually take it. The best I can do is to take a few hours most afternoons sitting with my husbands and/or neighbors downstairs. We live on a bayou harbor and it's relaxing. I hope you and all our writer friends find their own Lazy time. It's important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fran--
      You are right! It's very important to find lazy time so we can rejuvenate our minds and bodies. Great that you relax with your husband and neighbors. That's important, too.
      Victoria--

      Delete
  3. Unlike Karen, I have no trouble doing nothing. I love that there's an official Lazy Day - my kind of a holiday. Thanks for the alert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy--
      Ha ha ha!! So pleased that you already know how to treat yourself to down time. Enjoy the holiday!
      Victoria--

      Delete