Saturday, March 1, 2014

Words to Inspire Teenage Girls

Victoria M. Johnson Classic and Cozy blog post

by Victoria M. Johnson
We've all experienced the angst and awkwardness of being a teenager.  What with acne, classmates who taunted us, parents who didn't get us, and homework that overwhelmed us, it's a wonder we made it out of high school with any self-esteem or confidence.  Yes, we had it bad but, in retrospect, the world didn't stop spinning as we thought it might.  And actually, I think teenage girls today have it much worse than we did.  They suffer through the same experiences as us but I believe they have far more stress nowadays.  What can we do as moms, sisters, aunts, or friends?  We can listen and we can speak inspiring words to the teen girls in our lives.  We can show our love and support through words that bolster and lift the spirit.  I'm sure we can all find encouraging words within our hearts to speak, but teen girls sometimes come with hard heads, don't they?  Sometimes they only hear it when the words come from someone else.  With that in mind, I've gathered up some powerhouse help.  I've called in the troops in the form of A-list artists whom your teens may identify with: Katy Perry, Kelly Clarkson, Pink, Christina Aguilera, Aretha Franklin, and Lee Ann Womack.  These talented women have recorded confidence-building, constructive, and affirmative songs for teen girls.  Teenagers love their music, right?  We may as well reinforce the good songs they're hearing through their earbuds.  Hearing these words, along with a strong hug will give any girl a boost of assurance.  Let's spread the girl power!

"I went from zero, to my own hero"
Katy Perry's upbeat song is as empowering as Helen Reddy's I Am Woman was back in the 70s.  This song tells of a woman who was pushed around but she's had enough and she has the confidence to stand up for herself.  The message to pass on is: get back up when others try to knock you down.
  
"You're beautiful, no matter what they say"
Christina Aguilera sings about not letting other's hurtful words get you down and about us being full of beautiful mistakes.  The message to pass on is: even if you make a mistake, you're beautiful anyway.

"I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly"
Through Kelly Clarkson we get inspiration to take a chance by making a change that allows us to reach for a better life.  The message to pass on: we don't know what the future holds but it's by taking a chance that we find our wings and opportunities. 

"Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens"
This heartfelt song doesn't promise life will be perfect.  It speaks of life's setbacks but with the hope for keeping a positive outlook and adventurous spirit.  The message is: just because you've been disappointed, don't give up.    

"R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find out what it means to me"
This song demands respect to the point where Aretha spells it out to make it clear what she wants.  Although your teen likely doesn't know Aretha, these lyrics still resonate and stand the test of time.  The message to pass on: always expect to be treated with respect--you deserve it!
  
"Change the voices in your head
Make them like you instead"
When all the above fails to lift the spirits of your teen, pull out Perfect aka F**ckin Perfect.  Why would I recommend a song with the "f" word in it?  Well you have the choice to hear it without the curse word, just listen to or buy the clean version.  Second, the song powerfully gets to the negative self-talk some teens have inside them.  And when it's the outside world that is being cruel, it might come as the best encouragement to hear a loved one say, "please don't believe those negative things.  Don't let anyone make you feel less than perfect."

Of course, sometimes the situation a teen is facing at school demands action and intervention.  That is when the principal is visited and/or the police are called.  This is where the listening comes in (and watching your teen's behavior) to make that determination.  In all cases, it's up to all of us to give inspiration and a fighting spirit to the young girls we love.  If you can't speak the words, play the song for her or print out the lyrics.  And don't forget to say, "I Love you; I'm here for you; Come and talk to me about anything, anytime!"

Did I leave out a song you find particularly motivating and uplifting for teen girls?  Let me know in the comments below.

Bio: Victoria M. Johnson knew by the time she was ten that she wanted to be a writer.  She loves telling stories and she's happiest when creating new characters and new plots.  Avalon Books and Montlake Romance published Victoria's fiction debut, The Doctor’s Dilemma, (A 2012 Bookseller’s Best double finalist).  Her other fiction book is a collection of romance short stories titled, The Substitute Bride.  She is also the writer and director of four short films and two micro documentaries.  Visit Victoria's website at http://VictoriaMJohnson.com for inspiration and tips and find her Amazon author page or connect with her on Pinterest and Twitter or Facebook.


 

12 comments:

  1. Great post. Music is a fabulous median for a lot of things. I use Christian Rock to soothe the soul, calm me down and keep mr focused on what is important on my commute to work. Many messages of kindness and hope in the songs by Casting Crowns.

    And I havea Blog post scheduled here that talks about how music helps to write emotion. Seems like we are on the same page

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathye--
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for suggesting Casting Crowns. I'll certainly have to hear them and I'm eager to read your post about writing emotions.
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this post! Thanks for sharing, and reminding us all what our girls are going through. Okay, here's my cautionary song for girls who might prefer a more prominent twang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97PGSk00hgw
    Again, I LOVE this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sofie--
    Thank you for the comments. I'm pleased you enjoyed the post and I'll have to check out the song you recommend.
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this post gets lots of reader attention, especially to mothers of teenage girls, and teenagers, themselves. The message is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great advice for young girls, Victoria - and, for that matter, for women of any age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that today's teen girls probably have a few more challenges than we did, although our own lives back then were filled with plenty of angst too. You've offered some positive, uplifting advice. Kudos, Victoria!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Loretta--
    Thank you! I'm happy the post resonated with you.
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sandy--
    Thank you for stopping by. I'm pleased you found the advice helpful.
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sydell--
    You're right our lives were indeed filled with angst as well. I'm happy you found the post uplifting.
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello,
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful blog.I like your words.I thinks all teenage girl are inspire read this article.More article about teenage girl please browse this Blog about life and love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharif--
      I'm pleased this post resonated with you. Thank you for stopping by.
      Victoria--

      Delete