Monday, March 24, 2014

Capture the Innocence


Toddlers are wonderful little creatures, especially when they’re your own grandchildren. As I stayed with my three and a half year old grandson over the Mardi Gras holiday so that his parents could enjoy the festivities, I sat in wonder and watched him. It made me realize how our views of the world change as we get older, and I have to say, I don’t think we change for the better.


Toddlers see innocence in everything. They believe in their adult supervisors (parents, grandparents, babysitters) that they will do only the things that are good for them. They don’t think about it; they simply believe. They believe that food will be on the table, that clothes will be available (they don’t really care if they are clean or matched), and they believe that the love they so freely give will be returned. They hug and kiss, they tell you how beautiful you are, and they stand in amazement when you can do the simplest of things for them.

I realize that over the years I have written many children into my novels, and I can honestly say that I love each and every one of them. I love the innocence they bring to a story because even when they might act up in your story or be jealous of the love their dad or mom is giving to another adult, underneath they still are the innocent beings that we once were.

Sometimes toddlers get the meaning of words wrong, but by their actions you can usually figure out what they are trying to say. One day when my husband and I babysit this same grandson, I had just told him how proud I was of him for using the potty chair. He wasted no time. He ran out of the bathroom and threw himself in my husband’s arms, hugged his neck and said, “McDaddy, I’m so proud of you.” My husband had no idea why he was saying that, but he knew the child was showing his love.

Growing up has its advantages. We can’t be helpless children forever, but somewhere between childhood and adulthood, we seem to lose the wonderment that children see in the world. Maybe today we adults who are so filled with experience and knowledge and talents should take a step back and try to see the world differently.

Do as a toddler would do. Give love and hugs freely. Make someone smile.


Fran McNabb lives on the Gulf Coast with her husband. She is a retired English and journalism teacher who loves writing and painting and, of course, spending time with her grandsons. Visit her at www.FranMcNabb.com or contact her at mcnabbf@bellsouth.net.

12 comments:

  1. All so true. We still use some phrases my children made up becasue they knew what they wanted to say, but didn't have the concept yet.
    For instance, we still say "a long day ago" instead of yesterday, and when someone in our family does something of note, it's "becasue he has a big brain" instead of smart. both compliments of my youngest (who is now 30)

    If only the world would go back to the innocence and gentleness of children. Just imagine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kathye, if we only could go back to the innocence. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. I agree with everything you said, Fran, and with Kathye's comment. And let's not forget the joy of young childhood. There's nothing like the belly laugh of a delighted toddler. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, most definitely the wonderful laughter of a child. Nothing can beat that!

      Delete
  3. Yes, I see the same innocence and complete trust in my own young grandchildren. Oh, that we as adults could still be like that too, but as you say, we can't be helpless children forever...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sydell, I think our grandchildren mean so much to us because we have the time to appreciate them. I love being with my two.

      Delete
    2. Hello Miss Fran,

      You probably don't remember me. My name is Nathan Ellis, and I graduated with Donald (And took your Annual Staff course our senior year). I saw that Donald had posted your write up on FB and thought I would reach out and tell you how spot on you are. I have three children, ages 4,3, and 2. They inspire me to be a better father through their compassion for one another, and their blind love and faith for both their parents. It's shaped me more as an adult than any other experience I have benefited from the last 20 years. That growth is due to adults such as yourself, who I saw bond with their own children along the way. You have great grandchildren, because you raised wonderful children, and their friends had the benefit of seeing that play out in public. Thank you.

      Delete
    3. Nathan, I am touched by your words. I know you must be a great father. Three children, all under 5, must keep you busy -- and young! Yes, children are great. Enjoy them because they grow up so quickly, but then you have them as a friend! Thank you for dropping in.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love this, Fran! It's so true. Children live each day to the fullest, see wonder in butterflies and dandelion fluff, and know that hugs can make everything better. Thanks for the reminder that we can learn so much from them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina, you are so right: We adults who think we know soooo much can truly learn from those innocent little wonders!

      Delete
  5. This made me smile, Fran. I tried to save all of the cute things my kids wrote or drew, the creative spellings, (get jressed = get dressed) and we keep alive some of the more creative turns of phrase, ("turch" = church, "sug"= school, and "need a heart, bad!" = when your video game avatar is about to die. That one gets used a lot around here.) As they've grown, their cute phrases have given way to, er, more colorful metaphors, but they will always be my little innocents who pointed down into the potty and said, "just look at what I've done today! That was good work."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it wonderful to watch the little ones be so proud of themselves. My heart swells with joy when I see them learn something new and realize what they did it. Yep, "that was good work" brings a great deal of joy!

      Delete