Tuesday, March 11, 2014

What's Your Cup of Tea?

By Sandra Wilkins

            The other day I came across a popular cop show.  The story centered around the atrocities two brothers committed against women and each other.  It wasn’t my cup of tea.  I couldn’t stomach it, and I had to stop watching it.  I don’t live under a rock.  I know these kinds of terrible things happen in the world.  I see the news, but I don’t want those kinds of images to fill my head or my heart all the time.
          It really drove a point home to me.  This is why I write “clean” novels.  I don’t want to fill my mind or anyone else’s with sickeningly violent or overtly sexual images.  I’ve seen enough of that to last me a lifetime.  When I read or write, I want to think upon fun things, lovely things, right and just things.  I want the bad guy to get caught and the girl to get the guy in the end.  Real life doesn’t always turn out that way, but in my imagination it can.  And, I think that is a comforting place to be. 
          Of course, I know everyone has their own opinion on the matter.  So…what’s your cup of tea?   


Sandra Wilkins is busy writing another series while home educating her two daughters.  Ada’s Heart, Rose’s Hope and Gwen’s Honor are her first three published wholesome historical romances.  Go to www.sandrawilkins.com to find out more about her and her books.  

8 comments:

  1. Sandra, well said. I've always preferred a sweet read to a graphic or violent one. The same goes for my taste in movies, television, video games. (Wouldn't video games make a huge splash if, for example, the combined clever plot with the X-Box Kinect system, allowing the viewer to physically engage/explore within the story?) So yes, three cheers for a sweet/cozy/classic read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, me too. I love stories that are about relationships, people having differences and working them out - without weapons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra - I completely agree. I'm always disappointed when I try a new author only to find out its content overtly explicit. The story could have been great...
    The same goes for movies/shows, my husband and I love it when we find a great, clean movie/show. It always disappoints us when it is cluttered with unnecessary violence, cursing or sexual content.

    And I like Sofie's idea of X-box game w/Kinect to "experience" the game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like sweet romances and book suitable for famioy reading. I think the plot and characters shine in these stories. Unfortunately with 50 Shades of Smut exploding, the Millennia generation loves that stuff, and Erotica authors are making a fortune. Hope the pendulum swings back real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have to try to find words of discouragement and disappointment. The world supplies those to me readily on a daily basis. I have to intentionally place peace and joy before my eyes in what I read, see, or think on or I won't have any. I also love stories where the bad guy goes down and the good guys get his reward. Good thoughts here, Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen! Well stated. I do like some detective shows, especially British ones, but agree explicit violence doesn't need to be etched into my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Sandra, I think all of us on this blog have the same likes when we look for books to enjoy. I think the "sweets" will endure because they bring a light in our sometimes world of darkness. Thanks for the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said, Sophie! I love to read (and write) about relationships that are both uplifting and real. There's already too much violence in this world. Why nurture it?

    ReplyDelete