Friday, October 10, 2014

Getting to Know Us--an Interview with Sandra Wilkins

Interviewed by Jayne Ormerod

 
   Yes, we all have bios on this website, but there is so much MORE to know about our Classic and Cozy bloggers.  So the 2nd Friday of each month is dedicated to getting to know us better.  This month I'd like to introduce you to Sandra Wilkins.  I think she and I are kindred spirits.  And might try to sing a duet on American Idol...read on to see what song that would be...

Okay, inquiring minds want to know…why a writer? Certainly not for the fame and fortune…or maybe it is?
            It definitely wasn’t for the fame and fortune!  Being a writer or an artist was top on my list all through school.  As an extremely shy kid, creativity was a way for me to escape and to cope with all the anxieties of my little world.  Writing won out after college because I loved creating worlds where there could always be happy endings.  It energizes me when the words flow freely and I know I made the right decision—even if fame and fortune never follow.       

When did you first put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) to create the your classic and cozy characters?
            I began my Heartland Series in the late 90’s.  My first book, “Ada’s Heart”, was published in 2008.  Writing and getting books published takes perseverance and patience—to say the least.  In the end, it’s all worth it to have your dreams come true.

Do you have a set writing schedule?
            No!  This is why it took so long to get to the published stage.  I’ve never written by schedules—only when I’m “in the mood” or have time.  It works for me, but then I don’t have a new book coming out very often either.  

Is there a certain routine, food/drink, or location that summons forth the muses for you?
            Ah.  Those ever-elusive muses!  They can be pesky when they don’t show up on a regular basis.  I enjoy sitting outside on my back porch when I write.  Nature is a huge inspiration for me.  All genres of music have been an important part of my life as well and songs can instigate moods or even scenes in my stories. 

What do you do when not writing?
            I draw occasionally, do crafts, photograph all sorts of things and I listen to music a lot.  Home educating my two daughters takes up the majority of my time.  We have all sorts of fun delving into this wide world together. 

I imagine you’ve been reading all of your life (all great writers have.)  What was your favorite book as a child?
            I loved to read!  I don’t do it as much for fun now, but it has always been important to me.  One of my favorite books as a youngster was “Little Women”.  Jo was a kindred spirit.  We loved to romp around with the boys, write plays (and make family members act in them) and pen stories.  Such fun!

Do you re-read books?  If so, which one have you re-read the most?
            Yes, I do re-read books.  I like to re-visit old friends and spend time with them again.  I’ve probably read Diana Gabaldon’s “Outlander” series the most often.  The books aren’t for the faint of heart, but there are so many amazing characters and historical details that it’s nice to read them just one more time… 

But there is more to life than reading, writing (and arithmetic)…what is your most memorable adventure in your life?
            My most memorable adventure?  Hmm.  Except for going through childbirth, I’ve lived a pretty tame existence.  Recently, my family began taking a historical dance class.  Since I write historical fiction, it is SO cool to see how the dances actually work!  


<< I think this is the point where Barbara Walters would ask you if you were a tree, what kind would you be, but I’ll skip that and throw a softball…>>

If you were on American Idol, what song would you sing to WOW! the judges?
            I know for a fact I wouldn’t WOW anyone, but I’d wholeheartedly sing John Denver’s “Take Me Home Country Roads”.  I grew up in the country and would like to raise my girls where they can explore like I did.  I hope to get back out there soon! 

Last question…movie rights…who will play your two main characters when Hollywood comes knocking on your door?

            I didn’t even have to think about this one!  In my last book, “Gwen’s Honor”, the singer/actor Josh Groban was the inspiration for the male character, Josh Flynn.  I know, I know, I had the gall to use his first name, but I couldn’t help it.  For the female lead, I don’t really care… as long as Groban is in it.  So, if you need a new project, Josh, I’d be happy to help!  

More about Sandra Wilkins:
Native Oklahoman, Sandra Wilkins is an author whose passion for historical fiction led her to write the kind of romance novels that reflect the wholesome values found at the turn of the last century.  The Heartland Romance Series is set in the years just before statehood came to Oklahoma Territory.  The first installment, Ada’s Heart, follows an actress, Ada Marsh, who quits her old way of life and befriends two other young women, Rose Dennis and Gwen Sanders.  Rose’s Hope continues with their friendship while Rose must decide whether to turn her hopes toward a grieving widower with an infant or to another more persistent suitor.  Gwen’s Honor ends the journey with Gwen forced to choose between society’s expectations and her true feelings. 
While home educating her daughters is taking priority right now, Wilkins is currently working on a new series in her spare time.  Music, love, intrigue and trust will be highlighted in the series that takes place in Chandler, Oklahoma, during the year following statehood. 

Still need to know more about Sandra?  Check out her website at http://www.sandrawilkins.com/  and of course watch for her Classic and Cozy blog post the second Tuesday of every month! 


2 comments:

  1. Great getting to know you. These interviews are fun. Hope there are more

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice getting to know you a little better, Sandra. Little Women was (and is) one of my favorite books too.

    ReplyDelete