Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Traditions to Pass Along

Autumnal photo
For nearly 300 years, Americans have celebrated a family event called Thanksgiving. In countries around the world, some form of ‘thanksgiving’ is celebrated at this time of year - the Fall - in gratitude for a good harvest and a hope for continuing good fortune in the coming darker days of winter. Most of these are linked to religious festivals.

Autumnal photo
The American version of Thanksgiving is unique because the celebration crosses all ethnic, religious and cultural groups as a family celebration. For many of us, it is a major family get-together, celebrating the creation of this country. Thanksgiving Day became a recognized national holiday in the later part of the 19th Century. During the Amerian Civil War, Abraham Lincoln encouraged Americans to gather together to give thanks for the bounty of our freedoms.

In my family, my mother began her efforts days before the fourth Thursday of the month, making fudge, stuffing dates, decorating the house, ironing table cloths and napkins. We were (and still are) a large family. Until late in her life, my mother was the sole cook, hostess and bottle-washer. We young ones eventually stuffed the dates, mixed the fruit salad, prepared the stuffing (always made from scratch). But Mom was the only one of us who made the Parker House Rolls.
Autumnal Photo
I have never been able to match my mother's rolls, though I have mastered the stuffing and my basted turkeys are well-received. My husband is the king of the stuffed dates and one of my daughters-in-law has conquered the pumpkin pie.

This year, our celebrations will be very different because my husband and I are living far from our family. I know that many of my fellow writers on the Classic and Cozy Books blog are amazing gourmet cooks and have treasured family recipes they may be sharing but I wanted to share one that is always a big hit with adults and children alike.

This is also simple and great for children to participate in the preparations of this wonderful family event.

STUFFED DATES

1 package (or more) of dates (pitted is easier but not necessary: the pits separate from the fruit without much effort)

Cream Cheese, Peanut Butter, Hazelnut Chocolate Butter and/or other favorite creamy spread (Cookie Butter Cream, anyone?)

Open each date and drop a ½ teaspoon or so (personal taste is the final determinant!) of any of the above spreads into the center of the date.

Arrange decoratively on a pretty plate and try to get them to the family before they disappear.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all and best wishes for a joyful Christmas season too.


© 2014 Photographs, Leigh Verrill-Rhys, taken in Wales

4 comments:

  1. The recipe sounds yummy. I am a peanut butter and chocaholic so I will try this one.

    Blessed Holiday Greetings to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try not to eat too many before dinner, Kathye! :) Many happy hours to you and yours on this holiday weekend.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Leigh, I feel like you've gone back in time to when my mother was alive. As different as we may seem, some things are universal to all families. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my family will be doing exactly as my mother did throughout the 50s and 60s and 70s... I carried on as many of those traditions as possible in foreign ports and my children are passing on to their children - thank goodness for daughters-in-law!

      Delete