Friday, November 21, 2014

A Time for Thanks



by Sandy Cody

It's that time of year again - a little less than a week until Thanksgiving - perhaps our noblest holiday. Why the noblest? Because, for one day at least, we take time to be thankful for the things we have instead of longing for the things we lack.

There's no reason for this holiday except to be thankful. We don't expect anyone to give us a gift. We don't have to shop for a special dress and the perfect shoes to compliment it. All we have to do to honor the day is count our blessings ... oh ... and cook. But even that is pretty easy compared to most special days. There's no agonizing over what to serve. The menu is dictated by tradition. In our house that means turkey with the usual accompaniments, including both pumpkin and pecan pies. It may be something different for your family, but whatever appears on your table is probably consistent from one Thanksgiving to the next. If your family is anything like mine, the mere suggestion of something different is enough to prompt lifted eyebrows and silent, disbelieving stares - certainly not gratitude for trying to add a little originality to the holiday. At best, the response would be: "Thanks, but no thanks."

I guess this wouldn't be a Thanksgiving post if I didn't list at least some of the things for which I am most thankful: my family; my health and the health of the people I love; plenty of food; a warm, comfortable home; freedom to worship, think and speak according to my conscience. I started to write that I know these are the same things for which we are all thankful, but it occurs to me that would not be true. Far too many people lack some or even all of these blessings. If I'm honest, I have to admit that I have these things, at least in part, because of an accident of birth, not because of any special merit on my part. And for that accident, I am most thankful.

This has turned out to be more serious than I intended. Sometimes that just happens. The words take over and spill out serious thoughts.

I hope all of you have a seriously Happy Thanksgiving. May you spend the day surrounded by people you love and may the day be the perfect mixture of serious gratitude and silly laughter.

11 comments:

  1. Sandy, thanks for sharing your insightful thoughts on this special holiday. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving to you also, Sydell - and good luck with that new release.

      Delete
  2. Well said, Sandy. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very right that we all have a lot to be thankful for, and most of it is based not on our own merit, but on the country and families we happened to be born into. All the more reason to be grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Susan and Karen, for your good words. Happy Thanksgiving to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good reasons to be grateful! I enjoyed your post, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beate. Hope you're keeping warm where you are.

      Delete
  6. It is always a good thing to step back and count your blessings every now and again. One thing I am thankful for is the gift of everyone I came to know by being an Avalon author. Happy Thanksgiving to you all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right, Kathye! The support of Avalon authors can't be beat. Special thanks to all of you.

      Delete
  7. Every once in awhile I read something that really hits home. I am going to write down the sentence ..."we take time to be thankful for what we have instead of longing for what we lack." I spend too much time on the longing instead of thanking. Thanks for your insight. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for your kind words, Helen.I have to confess I spend my share of time longing too. Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

      Delete