Monday, May 6, 2019

Standards? What Are They?



by Janis Susan May/Janis Patterson

I admit I spend waaaay too much time on email loops, especially those for writers. Some are aimed at and restricted to working professional writers and I love them! Some are open to anyone and sometimes I love them, sometimes I don't, because the view of the wider writing community is occasionally terrifying.

On one open list a writer proudly announced that she had finished her first book and then asked if she reeaaally needed an editor before publishing it on Amazon. If that weren't bad enough, over half the answers said no - that she just needed a friend or two to look it over, or she herself should go over it a couple of times.

What?

I suppose sometime somewhere there is a writer who doesn't need an editor, but I sincerely doubt that a first time novelist is one of them. Especially one whose post had two grammatical errors.

Grammar is important. Grammar gives structure, meaning and coherence to our writing. It shouldn't be ignored, because bad grammar says two things - either that the writer is excruciatingly ignorant, or that he/she has complete disdain for his/her readers, believing that they are too stupid to notice. Of course, this applies only to the narrative part of a book. Whatever is said/thought by a character should be congruent with that character. A dock laborer is going to speak differently than an Oxford don. A wealthy teen-ager is going to speak differently than an aged, unschooled farm widow. So I have always held that anything in quote marks or this-is-a-direct-thought-italics is exempt from the rules of grammar, but the narrative prose of a book is not.

Don't they teach grammar any longer? Apparently not, because a couple of days later, on a different - but another open - list, a different poster asked a very elementary question about how to start a book. Now there is nothing wrong with asking a very elementary question; we all have been there at some time and every writer has to learn. Two things made my blood run cold.

The first was the post was written with such execrable grammar that a third grader should have been ashamed to own it. I replied, mentioning that she might want to brush up on her grammar, then gave a reasonably detailed answer to her question. The second thing was that without exception others on the list attacked me, saying that anyone could make a grammar mistake (which I agree - ONE mistake in a questioning post, not multiples, nor such huge ones), that someone later in the editing process could catch the 'mechanical' errors, that this new writer could probably reach more people's emotions than I ever could with my perfect grammar... You get the idea. I even received a few threats to boycott my books because I am such a heartless grammar Nazi who puts rules above True Feelings.

So when did holding to a standard become not only passé, but almost dangerous for those who do? Language is the means by which we communicate. If the rules of language are disregarded and allowed to crumble, communication is imperiled. And that threatens all of us - readers, writers, and everyone else.


On another note, I would like to say that my YouTube channel is up and running - and I would be most appreciative if you would drop by. It's called Janis' Tips and Tales, and a new episode is released on the fourth Thursday of every month. Thank you!

8 comments:

  1. Good post, Janis. Standards do matter, and ignoring the basic rules of grammar means risking writing nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I was an English teacher and I have to grit my teeth with some of the things I read. Yes, good grammar is expected of any author. Thanks for such a good blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on, Susan. I'm a grammar nazi, I suppose, because I'm irritated by the use of poor language, spoken or written. I've given correcting people. Their response is usually, "Everybody talks like that." Sadly, they're right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgive me. I meant to write "I've given up correcting people."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Standards don't matter anymore no matter the realm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post, Janis. I agree that understanding and following the rules of grammar and sentence construction are important. It might be okay to ignore the rules sometimes, but you'd better be a genius if you do. When this subject comes up, I think of Picasso and how completely he mastered the basics of drawing before he broke the rules to create his own style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that the rules of grammar are important. Writing in a literate manner should be basic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent post, Janis. Just as I wouldn't buy a table and chairs from someone who didn't know how to use basic woodworking tools, I don't want to buy a book from someone who doesn't know how to use our basic tools - words and grammar. I just finished judging a published author contest where two of the seven entries I received really, really needed an editor. They were decent stories but badly told. An editor could have made them so much better!

    ReplyDelete