Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Patience, patience ...


By Sandra Wilkins

            Um…have I ever mentioned that I’m not a very patient person?   I mean, I’ve tried over the years to not get bent out of shape when things don’t go the way I wish they would.  So, I would say—in general—that I do a much better job at just “chillin’” than I did ten or twenty years ago.  Certainly, having children has had an obvious connection to a more understanding attitude.  It doesn’t do a person any good to get upset, worried or angry at every little problem.  Sometimes you just have to go with the flow.    


            Waiting on other people can seem impossible sometimes.  It doesn’t matter what the relationship is between two people, we don’t have the same agenda.  No one does.  We may have similar ideas, but the execution of them can come about in altered ways and in different time periods.  Oh, and there is always the chance it won’t happen at all.


            The other day, I heard this quote on the radio, “It’s better to go slowly in the right direction than quickly in the wrong direction.”  How true is that?!  I’m trying to embrace that thought.  I’ve hoped to build a house out in the country for more than twenty years but it hadn’t worked out in the past.  Now, as we’re on the verge of hiring a builder I can see where it’s much better to take baby steps toward a goal instead of falling headlong into a pile of manure.  It’s not always comfortable standing around twiddling your thumbs hoping that something will happen someday, but there will be a reward in the end for patience.  It may not be exactly what we planned or
envisioned in the beginning, but that meandering path could lead to a beautiful thing. 



    Sandra Wilkins is busy writing another series while home educating her two daughters.  Ada’s Heart, Rose’s Hope and Gwen’s Honor are her first three published wholesome historical romances. 

 Go to www.sandrawilkins.com to find out more about her and her books. 


3 comments:

  1. Nice post, Sandra. I especially like the quote about going slowly in the right direction. Good advice, but it does require patience, something all too rare in the fast-paced world our society has become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patience is something we all need! I'm not sure I would've had the patience to homeschool my children. You need to be commended for that.
    Good luck to you and the children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not very good at patience either, but there are things worth waiting for, even when the waiting's hard. Congratulations on getting to build the house you've been wanting for so long!

    ReplyDelete