Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Teaching an Old Dog

by Gina Ardito

Tomorrow's my birthday. I'll be (gasp!) 53. Spare me the comments about how I don't look my age. I don't mention the day because I'm fishing for compliments. What I really wanted to say is that, even at my (venerable) age, I still have to remain flexible with fate. Because fate seems to love jerking my chain. I'm officially an old dog still learning new tricks.

Life never remains constant. Today is my last day at a job I've had for more than a decade. I've been in this industry for four decades and starting Monday, I'll be trying my wings at something else. No longer will I be able to joke that I work for Satan (health insurance, so yeah, it ain't too far from the truth).

Two days from now, I'll be dropping my youngest child off at college and will come home to a much quieter house (but with more food in it).

I honestly didn't expect 2015 to be the year of so much change (there's more, but it's not my story to tell. Suffice it to say, the last six months have thrown my family topsy-turvy in many ways). But it seems that's just how it happens. You're moving along on your usual path, and suddenly, you hit a detour. You negotiate that turn, and there's another up ahead. And another. Until when you look up again, you realize your path has led you somewhere entirely different than where you thought you'd be.

In "The Princess Bride," Westley, in his Dread Pirate Roberts persona, tells Buttercup, "Life is pain." I beg to differ. Life is change. The days we'll remember when we're looking back are not the days where we got up, went to work, came home, did some chores, watched a little TV and went to bed. We'll recall the milestones: the days that were different, the days that changed us. The birth of children, the death of loved ones, trips and vacations, the end of or respite from the usual grind. 

Go ahead, fate. I'm ready.

As John Lennon sang in Beautiful Boy, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Enjoy your life, my friends. Live it fully, no matter where it takes you.

10 comments:

  1. I love this post, Gina. You've expressed the importance of meeting life head-on beautifully. Good luck on whatever journey this new year takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sandy. It's a scary but exciting time for me. Another chapter in the book of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina, your post packs a wallop! Happy Birthday and I wish you the best for every next adventure that waits around every next corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sydell. May you enjoy your own adventures!

      Delete
  4. Great post, Gina. Yes, when we look back we do remember those days of change and not the humdrum. Enjoy your child's college days. They, too, will zoom by you, but you'll remember the best moments (and sometimes the worst) for years to come. And, by the way, Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fran! Appreciate the pearls of wisdom.

      Delete
  5. Bravo Gina - I share your view on life. Bring it on! I'll be retiring in 3 years from a job I would will have had for 30. My youngest is 32 and getting married next year, my oldest - the twins - turned 44 this year which is amazing since they were just 5 last week! Life is fast and furious and ever- changing. We'll grab on and enjoy the twists and turns.

    BTW Girlfriend - Happy Birthday. We look good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gina--
    You are so right about the days we'll remember! I hope fate gives you a break and that you have many more happy memories ahead. Happy Birthday, you really don't look 53 :-)
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete